If you own a property or live in the state of New Jersey, you will probably want to have an extra layer of protection to get that piece of mind. What better way to go about this than exercising your second amendment right to own a gun? Getting a firearm can prove simple, provided you understand how to get a gun license in New Jersey.
How to procure a gun license in New Jersey?
If you fancy getting that additional layer of security besides the one provided by the government, or love hunting for game in your ranch, then deciding to buy and own a gun cannot prove such a bad idea. However, owning a gun requires you to buy one, and this also requires an application for a gun license. The application process often proves challenging, and you have to understand different regulations to get the right permit, as you don’t want to get a gun license that will not apply to a firearm you wish to own and use. Here, it entails some key ways to go about getting a gun license in New Jersey.
- Recommendations. Get recommendations on how to go about it from family members and friends who legally own guns in New Jersey. Such credible information will save you time and energy compared to getting details online.
- Online reviews. Get a gun license in New Jersey by checking out what other people detail as their experiences online to help you have a better feel of the process and the best license option.
- Physical fact-finding missions. Visit gun licensing institutions in New Jersey to get the information needed to guide you accordingly when applying for licensing.
What to look for when getting a gun license in New Jersey?
What constitutes some of the things you should pay attention to when seeking to get a gun license?
- Type of gun license. You have to get the right permit for your gun in New Jersey. Two different gun permits exist in a handgun purchasing permit (HPP) and the firearm purchaser identification card (FPID). The FPID proves compulsory when you want to buy a long gun, shotgun, or rifle. However, it would help if you acquired the HPP to get the FPID.
- Documents instrumental in getting a gun permit. You have to get your driver’s license, passport, two character references, and an executed mental health record search consent.
Gun application procedure
The application process needs to become as accurate as possible to stand any chance of your gun licensing to go through. The process entails the following.
#1. All applicants
- Print or type all the necessary information you have to provide clarity on the form
- Complete your address by including full details such as the street, town, house number, zip code, state, and the P.O. Box when necessary.
- Sign all the forms in the presence of a police officer, especially from where you want to submit the gun license application
- Return every unused and completed form
- Height has to get measured in feet and inches, such as 5’8″
- Indicate your race, whether Black, Asian, or American Indian
- You can apply for multiple HPP because of a lack of restriction on the firearm quantity.
#2. First time PIC and HPP applicants
- Get fingerprinted (as a requirement) as a first-time applicant by morpho trust. The information gets provided upon completion and submission of the accurately filled gun licensing application.
- Fill in the consent form search for your mental health record. The form comes as S.P 66
- Fill in the New Jersey State application for FPIC or HPP form that comes as STS-033.
- Get references which prove nothing like a relative with full address details to ensure proper and safe mailing.
#3. Subsequent extra firearms applicants
- A records search of your criminal history will have to be carried out when applying for a subsequent firearm application
- Online submissions. The SBI issued a directive that from 2014, every 212A form will have to get completed online with multiple instructions. The instructions include. Logging in to the website https:www.njportal.com/njps/criminalrecords/ before keying in the ORI number upon getting the prompt. You can get the ORI number from your local municipality.
- Further, key-in the demographics besides the required background. Pick the NJS 2C:58-3 firearm licensing option for the FPIC and HPP. Enter the SBI number to confirm the capture of your biometrics (fingerprints). Finally, finish the process by paying using the electronic check or credit card before getting a receipt upon payment confirmation. Keep the receipt for your records.
- Extra purchase licensing applicants have to fill the New Jersey AFPI or HPP STS-033 form.
- FPIC duplicate applicants have to complete the STS-033 form in instances where your gun proves stolen, lost, mutilated, address change, and name or/and sex.
- Fill the search consent form for your mental health details, SP-66.
- Surrender the current FPIC when submitting the new application
#4. Licensing application or renewal to carry a firearm
- Complete a New Jersey State application SP 642 form for licensing to carry a gun. Do they form in triplicate and ensure all your references prove conversant with you for the last three years.
- Notarize all the original copies
- Submit 4 color passport-size photographs along with your application
- Fill in the consent search form for your mental health status, SP-66.
- Write and submit a detailed and justifiable need or reason for you to get issued with a handgun.
- Please provide proof of qualification when handling the gun you plan to carry from a certified gun instructor. Ensure that the evidence proves recent as well
- Give out a money order amounting to $20 with payable directives to the New Jersey State’s treasurer.
- Submit all armored car protection detail applications to the relevant police barracks in New Jersey. If your intention proves any other reason apart from guarding armored cars, you must submit it to the police department within the municipality.
Any falsification of the application documents guarantees a charge commensurate with a third-degree charge.
#5. Penalties for illegal possession of firearms in New Jersey
If you want to avoid harsh penalties for unlawful possession of firearms, whether a short gun, long gun, assault rifles, handgun, etc., you have to apply and obtain a gun permit. However, failure to get a permit and your subsequent arrest with the weapon can lead to multiple charges in a court of law. The costs include the following in New Jersey.
- Possession of an unlicensed firearm amounts to a third-degree felony offense and can attract a maximum prison sentence of 5 years.
- Possession of a licensed gun but to use it unlawfully can amount to a second-degree charge, resulting in a 5-10 year sentence in prison. The charge applies the heavy penalty because it gets charged with other charges such as robbery or burglary.
Telephone. +1 201-547-5477
P.O. Box. 207, 7th St 2nd floor, Jersey City, NJ 07302, United States
If you have to live and own a gun in New Jersey, then applying for the necessary permits can prove key in ensuring you do not violate the tough New Jersey gun laws. So consider the guidelines provided to apply and get a licensed gun for your security or game hunting missions on your New Jersey properties.
- How to procure a gun license in New Jersey?
- What to look for when getting a gun license in New Jersey?
- Gun application procedure